Thursday, December 22, 2005

Ch-Ching!

a. i went to repo records today with chris p. liz, emily, and my sister. i got the lady sovereign EP which is everything i couldve hoped for and then some. i fell in love with the girl who rung me up. she complimented me on my X shirt and asked if i was at the show and i said yeah and asked her the same. she said no but she saw them last year. i told her i thought juliana hatfield was great too and she was like yeah i really like the new album. i told her i hadnt listened to any of her post become what you are stuff until that night, and then that lead us to the joy that is the early 90's. we covered juliana, blake babies, the lemonheads, and became incredibly engaged in talking about mark mulchay/miracle legion/polaris. shed never heard polairs but she loved miracle legion and said we were both way too young to because all their fans were like 40 +. i love her she was so cute and her hair was great. repo girl+ me.

b. i need to change my top ten once again

c. i hope everyone read the above.

d. im furious pitchfork (and soon to be everyone else) chose SOOFIYAN STEEVENZ as their number one. predictable? yes. boring record? yes. overhype? yes. travesty? yes. robbing M.I.A. of the number one? nearly unforgivable. until i flipped over to the worst albums page and read this:

Black Eyed Peas: "My Humps"
The verdict is in, and the human race approves: "My Humps" is a worldwide hit! And it's all due to the power of democracy: It wasn't even planned as a single, but thanks to word-of-mouth, iTunes downloads, and inundations with requests at radio and MTV, the label finally caved and made it one. So, for the infinitesimal subfraction of you that have somehow managed to evade this omnipresent cultural crapsack, let me spoil the hook for you: "My hump! My hump! My hump!/ My hump! My hump! My hump!/ My hump! My hump! My hump!/ MY LOVELY LADY LUMPS!" For the rest of us, hearing this song for the first time was 2005's most sobering musical experience. Like "Who Let the Dogs Out" before it, "My Humps" is so monumentally vacuous, slapped together and tossed-off that it truly tests the definition of "song." It's actually more like listening to a five-minute commercial jingle-- a point driven home by the miles upon miles of product placement that attempt to pass for its verses. The good news, of course, is that something responsible for this much misery could never go unpunished, and at the last minute, God got his revenge: What other pop singer in music history has ever unwittingly pissed her pants onstage?

plz read that. i hate the black eyed peas. they have no cred. and just one pitchfork kills you they always come through with snob genius.

3 comments:

mEEnoo. said...

I love the lady sovereign EP

Anonymous said...

alright so after reading all of these, i just have to say that
(i'll use letters like you)
a) i drink coffee to wake up and tea to fall asleep. i know its bad for me, and i think we both know i'm the least sophisticated person there is.
b) i can't wait to read catcher in the rye and then maybe see what you're saying.
c)"conformity blahblah conformity". i really hate routine
d)thanks for introducing me to clap your hands and say yeah and youth group. sometimes i'll listen to them on the bus home from school going through a certain neighborhood, its weird but cool.
e) black eyed peas do really suck
f) we already went over sufjan stevens

have fun on your cruise! nice seeing you tonight, and nice hair too! LOVELOVELOVE-kellyg

Mikedawg said...

shut up.
the sufjan stevens album is much better than the MIA album.
you just think MIA is hot.
just shut up.